Selecting an Architect
10 Questions to Ask Before you Hire
Investing in a new building project can be intimidating. For many people, it's the biggest investment they will ever make. Hiring a competent and experienced design professional is the first step to a successful project. Here are 10 questions to ask before you hire. For more advice or to find an architect, contact the Institute of Bermuda Architects.
1. How much experience do you have with the building type and size of my project and can you provide references?
2. How do you establish fees and can you give me a fee proposal before you start work?
3. What is included in your basic services and what would incur additional charges?
4. What are the steps and timeline of the design process?
5. What do you need me to provide?
6. How often do we need to meet and how will you communicate with me during the design process?
7. If I am unhappy with the services provided, can I pay outstanding fees for work completed to date and find a new architect? What happens to any design work completed by your firm?
8. What is your current workload and will my project be a priority?
9. What role do you have during construction? Am I expected to deal with the contractor directly?
10. What challenges do you foresee for my project (schedule, site constraints, permitting, etc.)?